Discover the process Emily uses to develop her colour distinctive colour stories …
Discuss and explore the various ways we can discover colour inspiration in our surroundings and how to translate that inspiration into knitted fabric. This is the process Emily uses to develop her colour distinctive colour stories. It will be an engaging, hands on and interactive day of exploring ways in which we can create mood and feeling using surprising combinations of colours.
Date : Sunday 6th of january 2019 – 10h00-17h00
Price : 180 $
Part One : Colour Discoveries (2 hours)
- Introduction and discussion of any colour ideas or goals students may want to explore or delve into throughout the day. Examples provided as an aid.
- Walk throughout the surrounding area to observe, record and interpret the colours that we see and why they do or do not appeal to us.
- Outdoor time may vary depending on the group, location and weather. Students who would prefer only a short walk will have the option to remain at or around the shop while developing colour ideas. The walk will be about an hour, with frequent stops for making notes and taking photos.
Part Two : Translating Colour Discoveries into Knitting (4 hours)
- Back in the classroom, students will use the rest of the class to bring their colour discoveries to life in swatches.
- Photographic and knitted examples will be provided to drive experimentation and exploration during swatching.
- If time permits, a discussion of how these knitted swatches could be best used in a knitted piece will conclude the class.
Class includes :
- Selection of Viola yarns in varying weights, fibres and colours for swatching during Part Two. All swatches knit during the class will be the student’s to keep.
- Illustrated handout providing examples, ideas and inspiration for colour research.
- Worksheet for sketching / colouring / note-taking / recording ideas
Students should bring: a notebook and pencil/pen, mobile phone camera, colouring pencils or crayons, knitting needles (as many as possible of the following sizes: 3, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7 mm), lunch and a snack.